Hey there!

It looks like you're enjoying Rap Battles Forum but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members and much more. Register now!

Already a member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Showing results 16 to 26 of 26

Thread: How do you go about making beats?

You've Earned a Custom Title!

Re: How do you go about making beats?

Don't think too much. How would you go about defending yourself against a dog trying to bite your arm off? Would you think first, run or kick it?

You've Earned a Custom Title! kloqwyse's Avatar

Auto tune is best used when you hack up your vocals. don't use it over the entire thing. auto tuning should take you some hours to do, not seconds. When you get done slicing up your audio, tuning the parts that need it and making all of your timing adjustments, you shouldn't even be able to tell you used it. Its on everything, even rock tracks, folk music. Just little snippets of it used to fix a flubbed note.

Making a beat? I get inspired by a sound, doesn't matter what it is, drums, keys, synths. Then I think of a progression, I usually start with a 1-4-5-1... or switch to 1-7-6. Just depends on the mood. I'm learning about the more complex chords and stuff so even learning something new will inspire me to at least try it out.

When none of that works, I listen to alot of net producers and see what they're doing. Look for inspiration. I don't like using mainstream peeps for inspiration since it's already out there. Underground peeps have TONS of good ideas. Like mixing techniques or different progression takes... whatever.

And when that don't work, I don't work. I don't like forcing a beat. I figure right now isn't the time for me to be on this. So I go give my mind a rest and come back later and try again.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 50 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

CHECK THE CUSTOM BEATS
    [SOUNDCLICK]8260815[/SOUNDCLICK]

Here's a lil' technique that works...listen to other songs...focus on those beats...and figure out what YOUR VERSION of that beat would be if you were to make it. Get the same or close sounds that were used...and twist it in your own melody and basically create your own version of that beat.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 50 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote Originally Posted by SoundMechanic View Post
    Here's a lil' technique that works...listen to other songs...focus on those beats...and figure out what YOUR VERSION of that beat would be if you were to make it. Get the same or close sounds that were used...and twist it in your own melody and basically create your own version of that beat.
    Gotta agree with this... that's another way to create beats if you're not thinking of melodies off the top. I've done that a couple of times. Another thing I've done is sometimes, trying to hear a freestyle of an artist in my head, and then letting a melody form in my mind of what I think would sound good for that artist... or sound like something they'd do, like listening to a Mobb Deep old school track in my mind, taking the beat out, and then making a beat that would fit. So many different techniques... concepts... it is, an art after all.
    Rap is always hotter with bangin'
    !

Hip hop beats are blazin' with hot
    !

Quote Originally Posted by Genycis View Post
    Gotta agree with this... that's another way to create beats if you're not thinking of melodies off the top. I've done that a couple of times. Another thing I've done is sometimes, trying to hear a freestyle of an artist in my head, and then letting a melody form in my mind of what I think would sound good for that artist... or sound like something they'd do, like listening to a Mobb Deep old school track in my mind, taking the beat out, and then making a beat that would fit. So many different techniques... concepts... it is, an art after all.
    Making beats is just a hobby for me but I realized that I had a great talent when I could listen to a song on the radio that's fresh out and copy it after only listening once or twice.. I didn't grow up playing any music, I was more into sports. But I just have an ear for it, its something you either have or you don't.

The original poster says he gets stuck. A big problem, and I'm not sure that this is a bad thing, for me is that I get overwhelmed because I could literally take a sound and go a thousand different ways with it. It's just endless man. I'm a perfectionist, I'll spend an hour on one little riff until it sounds perfect. And then I start to think about how I would do the whole beat different if I went another way with that sound... So basically I can have several versions of a beat with the same concept just different sounds/instruments.

It's impossible for me to get stuck.. Just keep moving man. If you get stuck, play what you got and take a step back for a moment and just listen to the foundation of the song. Dance to it. Vibe. Inspiration will come. Play a tune in your head as you listen. Then all you gotta do is find the sound your looking for. What I do is play the melody or riff (that I created by humming or making sounds with my mouth, yeah it sounds wierd lol) on the keys, record it, then change the sounds.

You've Earned a Custom Title! ZachLipscomb's Avatar

I still get stuck when making beats , and its usually because there are so many different ways to go with the production progression wise. The easiest way for me to start a beat is starting with some chords. I Lay out a progression like 4 bars at least then build the drums around that, then i go for the melody and bass line. Then the rest of the percussion and instrumentation to bring the groove and melody to life. A little music theory helps but it can make things confusing real quick. But look into cadences, scale degrees, and building chords to get ya started if you don't already know about that stuff. Email if you ever need some more help or holler at me on the boards.

Zach
    Last edited by ZachLipscomb; September 15th, 2009 at 02:01 PM
    Need Beats? Tutorials? -->

Im here to help, If I can let me know.

Get your rythm laid down first. Kick back and just listen, the beat will tell you what it wants. A melodic bassline or simple one. Once the bass is laced, listen to the beat again. . . it'll tell what it wants. Works everytime!

You've Earned a Custom Title! schizmatic's Avatar
    Battle Record
    112-10
    Awards 100+ Wins

I step outside and smoke the least amount of weed imaginable, then I go back inside with a slight tingle and start with drums

Last edited by II; November 6th, 2009 at 01:10 PM

Quote Originally Posted by RyanM View Post
    I currently have fruity loops 8 and i know exactly what i am doing if i want to do something, but im just curious about how you would go about thinking of a beat. I always get stuck. Like what are some good things to put into your beats. I can play guitar piano drums bass and a few other instruments so don't be afraid to throw in music talk. Thanks.
    maybe it will help if you start with the lead, every producer does it differently. i usually start with a catchy lead/loop and then build off that by adding any hook sounds, build ups breakdowns and then add a bas line. then i add the drum sounds around that. i feel like you can get more into it that way...
    but like i said every producer does it differently you know,
    -smallz-

I am a newbie in this forum, so i would like to make a new member and contribute my ideas and improve my knowledge from the others.I was registered at your forum. I have printed the test message. Do not delete, please.Gee! this thread will attract many people to give more info